Insurance Explained

Value Insurance

What is Department of Health “Appropriate clinical indemnity cover” for a dental practice owner?


As a dental practice owner, you have a responsibility for everything that happens in your practice. Vicarious liability is broad and getting broader. The Department of Health and Social Care has expressed a strong preference to move away from the discretionary cover currently provided by the Dental Defense Organisations (DDOs) to contractual insurance for indemnity. …

“Adequate clinical negligence cover” – a Department of Health paper


Have you had a letter from the private hospital where you practice asking about your clinical indemnity arrangements? Does the letter make reference to a Department of Health paper on “Appropriate clinical negligence cover“? On December 6th 2018 the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) issues a paper which I believe heralds the most …

Dual pricing in insurance – where loyalty costs you


At the end of September, Citizens Advice lodged a super-complaint with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) over dual pricing by the insurance industry. The charity claims that loyal customers across five market sectors, including home insurance, are losing out on £4.1bn a year to what it calls a loyalty penalty. Dual pricing is where …

Should you buy your insurances individually – or as a package?


Everything gets put together and sold as a “value pack” and insurance is no different. Insurance companies now offer office combined; business combined and other combined insurances. These cover all of the components that a particular type of business would want – such as Employers Liability; Public Liability; Legal Expense; Property and Professional Indemnity. Increasingly …